I have often been described as someone who is "straightforward and blunt". Although it was seldom meant to be a compliment but I have always accepted it as my truth. While I am no expert in the art of communication but here's what I have learnt by always speaking my mind. Or at least 9 out of 10 times ...
More often than not, people do not share what it on their mind. Their either stay quiet or not say the complete truth. Sometimes, they are scared of offending or hurting the other people and choose silence as a better choice. But here are my five reasons why I think saying what's on your mind is always the best way to go:
1. Silence is as good as approval. Staying silent is never the answer. Silence is a passive aggressive form of communication. If you disapprove of something but not say anything about it, it is as good as enabling it. Silence can create mistrust and resentment.
2. People are not mind readers. While, you may think things are obvious, people might not view the world with your perspective. No one is about to automatically acknowledge your point of view, opinion, or even talent if you don't share it. Things will never go your way if you don't speak up.
3. You might not be the only one thinking about it. More than at least a hundred times people have told me that they were too thinking the same thing, but never had the right words or courage to share it. Y'know, since I am uniquely blunt! Speaking my mind has encouraged a lot of people around me to voice their opinions as well.
4. Speaking your mind can be a HUGE stress relief. Personally, I am incapable of NOT speaking my mind, if even I am ever forced to (due to social pressures) I have a great deal of anxiety. Usually, I would go over and over it in my head and drive myself crazy. It becomes this whole thing which would have not even existed had I just spoken up.
5. You would never have to say, “I wish I had said…” God knows, I hate it when I feel I let a moment go without being my true self in it. In my experience, even when it is unpleasant or a little tense and difficult, it is ALWAYS worth saying whatever is on your mind. At the end of the day, you have to live with yourself. You owe it to yourself and others around you (even if they do not realize it. Ever.).
Have I convinced you to speak your mind?! ;)