Spiced Tomato Soup7:00 PM
4 large tomatoes on vine, cut into wedges
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
pinch of salt and black pepper
4-5 cloves of garlic, halved
1 brown onion, minced
1/2 tbsp roasted mashed garlic
1-2 chillies (serrano peppers), finely chopped (optional)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp za'atar powder (optional)
1.5 cups vegetable broth
1/4 tsp black pepper
6-8 fresh basil leaves, chopped (save few for garnish)
Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Spray olive oil into a roasting pan. Place tomato wedges, sprinkle salt and black pepper and toss it all together.
- Drizzle oil onto a palm-sized foil. Place halved garlic cloves and wrap it up into a parcel. Place the foil in the same roasting pan as tomatoes.
- Roast for 45-50 minutes.
- Take a large pan. Add oil. As the oil heats up, add onion and garlic and cook until translucent.
- Now add the spices and chillies. Cook for a minute and then add the vegetable broth to the mixture.
- Add the roasted tomatoes, garlic, chopped basil to the liquid. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth.
- Ladle it into a bowl. Garnish with fresh-chopped-basil leaves and serve!