Today, is 15th August, therefore The Indian Independence Day. We got our independence from the British rule in 1947. So, if you think about it, India is still a relatively 'new' country in terms of its independence. But an ancient civilization due to its history and culture.
While some Indians might already be aware of most of these facts about India, I thought it would be interesting to share My Top 10 Interesting Facts About India:
- India is the Largest democracy in the world, the 7th largest country in the world AND one of the most ancient and living civilizations (at least 10, 000 years old).
- India never invaded any country in her last 10,000 years of history.
- India invented the Number system. Zero was invented by Aryabhatta. Also, Algebra, trignometry and calculus came from Inida. Quadratic equations were by Sridharacharya in the 11th Century; the largest numbers the Greeks and the Romans used were 106 whereas Indians used numbers as big as 1053.
- Chess was invented in India.
- India is the second largest English speaking nation in the world.
- Sushruta is the father of surgery. 2600 years ago he and health scientists of his time conducted surgeries like cesareans, cataract, fractures and urinary stones. Usage of anaesthesia was well known in ancient India.
- The place value system, the decimal system was developed in India in 100 BC.
- The largest employer in the world is the Indian railway system, employing over a million people!
- The World’s first university was established in Takshila in 700 BC. More than 10,500 students from all over the world studied more than 60 subjects.
- Indian origin 96-year old, Randall Butisingh, now a Florida resident is the world’s oldest blogger. He runs a popular blog http://randallbutisingh.wordpress.com
P.S. In total there are 60 facts if you are interested to read them all, click here!
Husband's Weekend Meal
Brown Rice with few grains Wild Rice and Peas & Carrots
Spicy Butter Chicken
Pudine-ka-Raita [Mint Yogurt]
Hungry, anyone?! ;)