Nonetheless, after mulling over this for over 10 days I have managed to make a list of some basic style parameters that I apply for myself. Please! let me know if anyone else out-there puts as much thought into 'what-to-wear' as I do? Sometimes I feel guilty of using so much of my precious 'think-time' into my clothes ... but I owe it to myself. I have to look & feel fabulous - everyday! (Absolutely any excuse to dress up!)
- Dress according to the place - I always make sure I am appropriately dressed for the venue. I am not self-concious, however I do not feel comfortable wearing shorts dresses (or any clothing with shorter length) if I am in the company of elders or in a professional environment.
- Dress according to the weather - Besides the fact that I am afraid, I might look a little 'silly' wearing leather boots in summers or mini-dresses in winters ... it is also extremely uncomfortable! While many fashion advocators would support style over comfort but I am all for comfort first! (I believe humans started wearing clothes in the first place to be more comfortable in the changing weather conditions!)
- Work with colors - I have tried to include each and every color in my wardrobe. When putting an outfit together, I try to pick a color first and then work around it.
- Stream-of-thought No.1 -> Color, Clothing item (Dress/Skirt/Jeans etc.), Shoes, Jewelry
- Stream-of-thought No.2 -> Shoes, Clothing item, Jewelry.
Below are some of my fashion choices over the last 2 weeks. As we know, unfortunately I cannot share elaborate information about my outfit but I can share my stream-of-thought while I was putting the outfit together. Here we go, again ...
I had my weekly coffee date with Hongmi. It was drizzling and a little chilly outside. We were going to indulge in some 'window-shopping' as well. Hence, my simple skinny-jeans and a light sweater with comfortable shoes. The neck-wrap is the highlight, obviously but I started putting the outfit together starting with color.
We were off for an early morning breakfast followed by a day full of errands. It was a pleasant day with a slight chance of rain. Again, chose a comfortable cigarette jeans with turtle neck and a loose polka-dot top. I procured this top from a thrift shop for an extremely economical price (Yay! for me, since I lurrvee it). Needless to say, I started putting this outfit together starting with the top followed by the weather!
Nothing special about the day. It was a pleasant sunny-yet-chilly-afternoon and I had to go get the car serviced. I hadn't worn this fuchsia pink top since last Feb and wanted to wear it. And that's where the outfit started, followed by my favorite skinny pants, boots, jacket and lastly the sunglasses that have a hint of pink too!
It was really ... really cold that evening. We had plans to catch an early dinner followed by a movie. So I chose my warmest-long sweater with grey leggings and matching pumps. Perfect outfit to wear my heart-shaped pendant with. The outfit started with sweater and everything just came together :o)
Okay, don't be jealous but this was again the same agenda as the previous day. Out for an early dinner followed by My Name is Khan (Indian Movie). I had spent the day pampering myself at the Benefit counter (Macy's). I had received an invitation for a free makeoverrrr! You can't see the make-up here but I was looking decent. This outfit began with the uber-cool flower top with a zipper at the back (my fav!). I paired it with snug black leggings and super cute booties and finished with the metal-neck-chains.
Without rubbing it in-your-face, we probably had plans to continue celebrating my favorite month of February! It was not-that-cold in the evening. Again, I hadn't worn the dress in over a year and really wanted to wear it. So, started with the dress, followed by the leggings, then beaded-neck-chain and creamish-grey shoes!
Oh! Finally an example of an outfit which started with shoes! It was The Valentine's Day. I didn't wanna wear 'pink' or 'red' for obvious reasons. Then I remembered that I had a t-shirt (which my mom forced me to buy last year) which matches perfectly with a pair of boots I own (which I bought against the better judgment of my brother). The jeans also happen to be my favorite pair of skinny-jeans! Voila! (Green looks good, no?)
Phew! This brings us to an end of Fashion 101. (I hope y'll learnt something *wicked.laughter*)