I had been researching a travel tote for a cousin of mine, and thought will convert the research into a post. She is looking for a tote and her requirement are pretty high:
1. Must have zipper to close the top
2. Must have the option of a shoulder strap and cross-body both
3. Large enough to carry a tablet, wallet, phone, passport, cosmetics pouch, small bottle of water, reading material, and a lightweight stole.
4. Construction should be lightweight but tough material.
5. Should be flexible to fit under the seat in front of you.
6. Must look stylish.
7. Dark color
7. Dark color
Bonus: If it is constructed to slide on to or attach to your carry on suitcase.
Now the Longchamp sounds like a classic option, but it does not have the option to convert into a cross body bag. I also found a similar Samsonite version which fulfills her 'bonus' requirement but not sure about it's construction. Most of the bags that do look stylish and seem to have sturdy construction (like, this & this) do not come with a cross-body variation. While I do like the Tumi option (it fits most of the requirements) but it comes with a hefty price tag (for a travel tote). After looking high-and-low I am surprised that there is still not a very practical yet stylish travel-tote option out there. Personally, I traveled with a backpack this past trip and I was pretty happy, but I would still like to have an option of a tote (just like my cousin!)
Below are a few of the totes that did catch my fancy, but didn't blow me over.
In case you have a suggestion, do let me know.